Monday, January 19, 2009

Bye Crib, bye. Bye Binky, bye.

Mac is binkiless and in a big boy bed!! YAY.Saturday we decided to get bunk beds for the boys. I have been looking for months and finally found one cheap enough, sturdy enough and cute enough for Mac and G. As we were setting up half of the bunk (we only set up the top part of the bunk, for the railing) I thought this might be a good time to take away Mac's binky. We have tried before, cold turkey and cutting the tip off, neither worked for us.
So Mac and I collected all the binkies in a basket. I told him that other babies needed his binkies cause they were sad and that he wasn't a baby anymore. Then WE decided to throw them all out the window. So we did...
Later that night as we got him ready for bed he asked for his binky. I reminded him that he threw them out the window for the crying babies. Then he did this...

"Oh no!" He's quite dramatic.
Then he got up, waved to the window and said "bye binky, bye!" and that was that. Yes, he asks for his binkies at night and at nap time and either Drew or I, have slept in the bed with Mac every night. Not great, but we will slowly ween him from that too. Naps are rough but we are just glad he is sleeping without that binky!
I will say, that doing all this over the weekend was a little emotional for me. I was telling Drew, the realization that Mac is not a baby anymore and he's growing up way too fast, makes me sad. All Drew said was, "Well, it's a good thing we have a baby too." He's so sensitive. No, this was great. We have been wanting to get Mac a bed and off the binky since Gray was born and it does feel good to get it over with. Next step...bedding.
Wrestling in Mac's new bed.

11 comments:

NanaBabs said...

So fun! Love the bed, and especially the boys!

Karrissa Winward said...

Way to go! Mac is such a big boy! It is hard to watch them grow up huh? The beds are cool and I think the sheets are cute!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

ha ha that's so cute that he waved bye bye to it!

Jaimee Blood said...

You're REALLY the man now Mac. Way to go!

Marissa said...

Oh... it's so hard to watch your babies grow up! No binky or crib. Wow. I love the method you used to ween him off the binky... so sweet. And how sweet that he waved goodbye. I dread the day we ween Jos off her paci!

Eric and Jenny said...

Way to go, I am purposely leaving Luke in his crib just so I can pretend he is a baby a little longer (seeing how I don't have a little Gray ha ha!). It's such a releif though getting them off binkis, my boys never really liked them but Lance was major attached to his sippy cups.

Roo said...

They are so cute. I can't believe Mac is getting so big. He is a big boy. Love the bed and love how sensitive Drew is. I am surprised he didn't say well lets have another baby then. HAHAHa

Anonymous said...

I love it. Is funny how sometimes you wish for them to grow yp and then once they do you wish they'd stop growing.

tara said...

oh ash..mac is so cute and hilarious. i love the throwing the binkie out the window. what a turning point Ü

angela said...

congrats on the binky! that's hard stuff. when we got rid of lindsay's (I cut it) she was insulted i would even off it to her. she wanted nothing to do with it again. love the bunk bed choice!

Cheryl said...

So many gorgeous photo! You are amazing!

I loved the whole story and the pictures were so fun. We just love little Mac, though he is growing right up.

My favorite picture was the one of Gray wrestling on the bed- signs of things to come for sure!!

So, my parents bought my older brother and SIL our camera for their birthday coming up (sounds familiar right?) and they got a free Nikon photography class with purchase. They had my parents wathc their two boys last night and went. I will admit, I am SO JEALOUS! Our time will be soon.

Miss you! Once Rich's over night call stuff if over, I swear I'll be a better friend. Play date for sure next week! I'll call you.