Sunday, April 26, 2009

Half Marathon, Check!

I did it!Yesterday I ran 13.1 miles! For some people this would not be a big deal but for me this was huge! I had a crazy idea back in January to run a half marathon. I found someone just as crazy as me (Nancy) and we started training. When we started training I could run for 5 minutes at a 5.6 speed on the treadmill. Slowly but surely we added on miles and got faster.
We had some bumps in the road like... trying to find time to run. Between Drew's demanding job and church calling, my two kids one of whom nursed around the clock. Time was not easily found. Some other bumps were, me loosing the desire to run, Nancy having knee issues and oh ya, the marathon selling out before we could buy a bib. Because Nancy "pestered" me into running on a weekly basis, Drew making time for me to do my long runs and Wade miraculously finding us bib numbers. It all worked out. I couldn't have done it without you guys, thank you!

Even though I didn't do as well as I hoped, a day later I can say I'm happy I ran it. During and right after it was another story.

Some of the highlights were... Feeling the excitement of 15 thousand runners. Running around Churchill Downs (Derby track) and listening to horse races. Seeing Nancy do so well. With her bad knee we both didn't know how long she would be able to run. She ended up beating me. Good job Nancy. Last, but not least, running over the finish line. It was a great feeling to know I had just accomplished a goal I had set months ago that I truly did not think I could do.


Wade feeling great.

Me feeling not so great. Gray feeling hungry. The poor boy hadn't eaten in 6 hours.

My poor toes.

16 comments:

Roo said...

How do you look so great for just running 2 hours. :) seriously you look great. Congrats!!! You inspire me.

Cheryl said...

Woo Hoo!! Congrats on accomplishing your goal! I am SO proud of you and Nancy. I wish I could have been there to cheer you on at the end. And I agree with Roo, you do look great, even after a very long, hot and difficult race!

Oh, and I'm jealous you got to run inside Churchill Downs. Very, very cool!

Eric and Jenny said...

Good job! For me that is definitely huge, I would never even consider running a half marathon, so I am very impressed!

Jacklyn said...

Congrats!! I have to say that you've inspired me!

Karrissa Winward said...

Oh my gosh Ash! Great job! That seriously is so awesome and I am so proud of you!

Jaimee Blood said...

How awesome are you Ashley?? I am seriously so proud of you. I have aspirations to do this someday--so lets plan on doing it together someday. I'll start running first...HA! It is soo tricky with kids!

Jen Rutter said...

Way to go Ashlee, that is so great! And I can relate to that feeling of crossing the finish line. You feel such a sense of accomplish ment-but mostly just happy to be done. Great job!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Oh my gosh that is so awesome..Serious Ash way to go! You inspire me that I will still be able to do this stuff after I have babies.

Stacey said...

i'm so proud of you!! (and nat...i ran into your fam at the SLC half). i just hope MY poor body can last through the next 5 weeks to my race...bear lake, june 13th. any tips? i'm visiting the ortho tomorrow...i think i have a pinched nerve in my back and a titch of arthritis in my hips....ugh

angela said...

Can I have your autograph?

tara said...

ash that is awesome! atta girl! I want to run a 1/2 too...so send over the vibs.

Skye said...

Way to go!! it is such a great feeling crossing the finish line i wanted to cry when i did! way to stick with it congrats!

Kate said...

Inspiring. For real, I am so proud of you!

Katie Blacker said...

you go girl. that is something I don't think I could ever do! or maybe i should say...would ever want to do...

JaPinoy said...

good for you ashlee! you have inspired me! -jillian

CHYNOWETH FAM said...

Okay Ash, you make me think that i might someday be able to run a half marathon. Way to go!!! Very inspiring.