Thursday, May 14, 2009

Spring time

I Love the Spring in Kentucky. I love the rain, the green grass, the beautiful weather, playing outside, the smell of humidity, gardening, garage selling... the list could go on and on. Here's a little update on how we have been enjoying our spring.

We went to the Bluegrass Classic Stock dog Trial....


If you've seen the movie "Babe" then you know exactly what a Stock dog trial is, minus the pig of course. We later learned a little more about the sport. The handler and their dog have 12 minutes to get 3 sheep from a point across the field, through the first pair of gates, into a circle, through the second pair of gates and back into the circle where one sheep is separated from the herd and run out of the circle and then into the pen where the handler closes the gate. All without touching the sheep.

We were there for an hour and only saw one dog close to completing it. It was amazing on how the dog responded to the handler's whistling. For a competition this size, a herd of 600 sheep were needed. You cannot get sheep from different herds, or they will not stay together.
Cheryl and Nancy are always coming up with fun/weird events to go to. Thanks for letting me tag along.

Did I mention Annie is living with us for the summer? It's fantastic!

It started pouring rain, the kids found shelter under the tent.

I enjoyed a lovely Mother's Day. Mac made me this in Nursery. It made me tear up. My first Mother's day card from Mac! I Love it.

There are few things I like more than gardening. Last year, because of planting late in the season and the lack of knowledge of Kentucky gardening, we didn't get too much produce. This year we built garden beds, hauled in top soil and I have been studying up on gardening tips, so hopefully we will have more success. We planted 3 pepper plants, 9 tomato plants,1 cucumber, 2 squash, 4 zucchini, 1 basil, 1 parsley and our front yard is full of flowers. Wish us luck!

5 comments:

NanaBabs said...

It looks like you are having a great time. The garden looks great, and so do all of you!

marissa said...

what a pretty garden! I can't wait to move into a house that has space for one. I dream of using my own vegetables and cooking delicious meals with them... of course I would have to learn how to garden AND cook first. Wish I were more domestic like you!!

Anonymous said...

Boy, You have Awesome friends! You are so lucky!!!
(Oh wait, That's me!)

Brittany said...

Ash- I miss you guys! I just looked at all your pictures and I want to hang out with you guys and meet little Gray! Congrats on the 1/2 marathon! Feels good to do it, huh?! It has been a month and a 1/2 but I finally updated my blog again! The boys are so cute. I can't believe how quickly they are growing! Can you believe our babies are almost one? Are you getting the bug again, yet?

The Price Fam said...

Ashlee, I love, love, love your blog!! Thanks for the invite! I can tell I will be learning a lot from you! Like all the fun things to do in Kentucky that we haven't done yet! I've only got a month left - we gotta talk! I have just loved having Mac in Nursery - what a stud!