Monday, May 24, 2010

Chickens

Have you ever had a dream/want, that didn't always make sense? For me it was chickens. Forever I wanted chickens in my backyard. I thought it would be perfect to wake up to freshly laid eggs. Now, I didn't grow up with farm animals. In fact I don't like animals. I will never own a dog or cat. I'm sensitive to smells and there's nothing worse then stepping in dog poo. So for me, wanting chickens really didn't make sense. Right? But it was a dream of mine and when I started looking into it, I thought," Why not, lets do it." So now we are the proud owners of three hens!

After much research Drew designed and built the coop.
Saturday we got the Hens from a local farm. They are 2 years old and have a lot of personality. We quickly learned that they hate cats. They freaked out when they saw one. Squawking, flying, feathers everywhere. Not good.
Frances (Rhode Island Red), Rosie (Araucana) and Sophia (Silver Laced Wyandotte). I still feel weird calling them by name. I promise I'm not a crazy hen lady.

Mac loves the chickens, Frances is his favorite .

Sophia laying her egg.
Since Saturday afternoon they've laid 5 eggs. Not too bad.

This has been quite the weekend. I'm not sure how I feel about them yet. One day Drew will love the chickens and I'll want them gone and the next it's the opposite. It's been a fun learning experience for us all!

Did I mentioned I love my husband for supporting me in everything I do and come up with? No matter how crazy or stinky it is!

15 comments:

Lora said...

I have been checking your blog hourly since Saturday morning...no joke. Cute little ladies!!! 5 eggs, good chickens! Don't be surprised if you catch me stealing your eggs.
P.S. I like the black lace. Pretty.

CHYNOWETH FAM said...

that is so funny! Sam has always wanted chickens too! Enjoy your eggs.

angela said...

Wow! Didn't realize they have arrived. We need to take a field trip to your house soon... How do the eggs taste? As good as you wanted?

Eric and Jenny said...

Ashlee I just love this, this is SO FUNNY! I can't believe you got chickens or that Drew went along with it, you are so darling. Hope they are everything you dreamed they would be!

Angela said...

First a horse, now 3 chickens....sure you don't like animals! :) They are way cute and Drew did a great job on the coop. Who knew the eggs would be so blue and red!! Way to go crazy chicken lady!!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

haha thats so awesome! aww now I want some hens! That would be fun to have fresh eggs. I dont know how Sadie would handle it though.

The Reynolds Family said...

YEA FOR CHICKENS!! They look mighty fine, and the coup isn't too shabby either! I'm totally impressed! Can't wait to see what the week will bring:)Any raccoon sightings?

NanaBabs said...

The ladies are lovely, and their house is amazing! Look what Drew can do when his daddy leaves... I think he just pretends to be mechanically incapable!

Joy said...

You're so funny! I'd be scared to get too close to a chicken! Way to embrace your "country"!

Karrissa Winward said...

That is hilarious Ash!!

Roo said...

Love it!!! I can't wait to see your stinky chickens in Aug.
I love that I get to see you so much this summer BTW.
I can't wait to have Drew make me an Egg sandwhich(he'd make me one right?) with your cool "right from the backyard" eggs. :)

luke & sammy said...

that is so funny, i have been telling luke lately that i want chickens too. Nothing sounds funner than going out to get fresh eggs! They are beautiful!

Marissa said...

Chickens make sense! You are just being smart with your "pet" choices! I have to admit, the black lace is pretty, and I'm sure they will keep your kids entertained. There were chickens everywhere when I was living in Thailand and they are quite funny! Enjoy your chickens :)

jenni kaufusi said...

love the chicken, your backyard looks so nice and big.

katie and beej said...

Drew,
Look at you, building things. "JUST LIKE JED" right? But really the coup looks great and I still can't believe that you made it! I guess a lot has changed since you left for KY... I just didn't think being a fix it guys would be one of them:) GO DREW!
-Daisy