Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Home Sweet Home


Two and half years ago Drew was excepted to UK Law school. We were not married yet but we both knew we would be going to Kentucky so Drew could study law. It just felt right. I kept telling him I can live anywhere for three years, even Kentucky. Well we moved here and fell in love with our ward and the southern charm of Lexington.

A year went by we had Mac and I honestly wanted to move home to Utah. I was so homesick and my desire to have Mac around family was overwhelming. Well, I got through that and was comfortable here and then Drew got offered an amazing opportunity to work for the law firm of Dinsmore & Shohl for the summer. We were so excited, the pay was good and the firm had a great reputation. The summer went perfect for Drew. He loved everything about the firm.

Drew and I would talk about options for next year. Should we move back to Utah and find a job or stay out here and look? Should we go more east and get a clerkship for a year? What would we do if Dinsmore offers us the job? I honestly had mixed feelings. It's been great out here, we love it, we just don't get to see family enough. There's days I wish I could just go out to lunch with my mom and sisters or hang out with Drew's family. I guess you can't have everything.

So last week on the way home from our trip to Niagara falls we got the call. Drew was offered the job at Dinsmore. I instantly started crying. I was overwhelmed with feelings of gratitude. I immediately new we would take the job. It was too good to pass up and again it just felt right. But then the thoughts and fears of growing up and never moving "Home" hit me and I began to cry harder. Poor Drew, he has to put with an emotional wife.

After getting control over myself I called my mom and lost it once again. As I told her the good news I started crying. She reassured me that she would keep on visiting and we would keep flying home. That didn't seem to comfort me.

The following week both Drew and I felt great about the job and staying here in Kentucky and he called and took the job. As I'm writing this I'm again crying. Something about writing it down makes it real.

I guess now is as good time to start calling Kentucky home.

8 comments:

Craig and Jessica Smith said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you but also sad. It is hard to live away from the comforts of home, but I know (from my sisters) how your ward really becomes like family to you. Thank goodness for the gospel and all of the great things we get from it! You will do great and we will miss you. Make sure when you come to visit you give us a call. We sure missed you last night at Grandma and Grandpa's. Your mom is so good to organize those things. I think if she didn't, we probably would never get together.
Hang in there!

Marissa said...

That's so wonderful that Drew got that offer! It's for sure a blessing. I know how hard it must be to be away from your family... no one will ever be able to take the place of your own mother or family. But DO take comfort in knowing you have lots of people here in KY who love having you here and whose lives you have blessed by being here :)

J & A said...

Congratulations! You must be so excited for Drew. I'm jealous that you're almost done with law school! John hasn't even started. Who knows, maybe we'll come to Kentucky for school.
We'll miss you out here, but when you come visit I would love to see you and Mac again. He's adorable. If we ever head east I'd love to see you--even though I have no idea where Lexington is.

luke & sammy said...

This doesn't make me hopeful about going back home :) As much as I hate to admit it living outside Utah does have its perks though. The church is amazing and you really feel needed. Maybe one day we can live together and then go visit our families together! Tell Drew congrats on the job!

Unknown said...

Ashlee, of course I remember you!! In fact, every time I go into Taipan I think of you. It's good to see that you are doing well in Kentucky. I know how you feel about missing Utah and wondering if that will ever be "home" again. We've only been in California for 8 months now, but the more time we spend here, the more I like it, but at the same time, it makes me sad thinking about having kids and not being around family. Thank heavens for airplanes, huh?

Karrissa Winward said...

Ash- I totally got teary eyed while reading this. I totally understand how mixed emotionally you must feel. That is so exciting though and awesome that you guys can bot feel good about it even though you would love to move back to Utah. I love you guys so much and am so proud of all you guys do! Congrats Drew!

Katie said...

Oh Ash...I know how you feel. I was sad reading it for you, but happy too! I know what it's like to feel like you'll never live by family, even though I try to convince mine daily that California is a great place to live, but honestly, it's so great to get away too. I can't believe Kentucky is permanent now. When will we ever see each other? We'll have to coordinate better Christmas parties in the years to come. At least both parents are in the same state...we have 3 states to decide between. Nightmare. I know you can do it! And believe me, Mac will become all-time at flying. Taylor is already getting the hang of it.

Jaimee Blood said...

Congratulations Drew! Ashlee, we are glad that you guys are sticking around here in Lexington. We miss Utah too though. Jaimee started reading Twilight, she loves the Vampire love. Nothing like a little vamplove.

(Jaimee is making me document that I (the blade) wrote this)