Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sun causes cancer...who knew?

I'll make a long story short.3 years ago a scab showed up on my nose and didn't go away for months. So I went to a dermatologist out in Utah, he froze it and said something like, "That should do it, you are too young to have skin cancer but if it doesn't heal within a month, come see me." Well, it didn't heal and last month I finally went to a dermatologist out here. She did a biopsy on the spot and the results came back positive for basal cell carcinoma. Luckily basal cell carcinoma is the first stage of skin cancer and is a very slow growing cancer. Anyway, yesterday I went in for MOHS surgery and had the spot removed. While I was waiting to see the doctor I looked around the waiting room and started laughing. I was the youngest person there by forty years. I really am too young to have skin cancer. Oh, and enjoy all the close ups of my face:)
This picture shows my swollen left eye and my horribly waxed left eyebrow:) I'm missing the end of it.

I took this picture right after I took off the bandage and cleaned the stitches. Even though the cancer spot was a circle the Doctor cut and pulled my skin in a way that when it's healing I won't have weird tugging in places. Well, at least that's what we are hoping for.

The doctor said the damage was done years ago. It could have been done by a bad sun burn or repeated sun exposure. Even though I have been extra careful the last four years, chances of me getting it again somewhere near the site is likely. C'est la vie.

Right now I'm going to go the grocery store where I will get lots of stares while Mac tells everyone, "hurt nose."

19 comments:

Amy Jo said...

wow. we are so glad you are ok. We will miss you at christmas

luke & sammy said...

oh my ash! That is awful! Hopefully it will heal before christmas! Wish we could see you in Utah!

Unknown said...

Oh, Ashlee, you poor thing! :(

Eric and Jenny said...

Oh Ashlee you poor girl! My mom's husband just had the very same thing last week sounds just like yours. Definitely makes me think to be better about sunscreen and all that. Hopefully it heals soon for you, you still look darling!

Aubrey said...

It doesn't look too bad for real. It's good that you have a son that can tell everyone what's wrong if they staring. :)

Roo said...

You look cute with a swollen eye. :) i am being serious! I was thinking about you the last 2 days. Hope all is well. PS there is this thing on my nose I swear it might be like what yours started out as... I will take a pic and send it to you.

KevDebKlan said...

Don't let them kid you. you look terrible! Who knew your Eye would swell so much. Let me know if I can help.

Michelle said...

I sorry Ash, that is sure scary! I'm sure you'll be caking on the sunscreen from now on. I should probably remember to be better at that too. I'm glad you got all the cancerous yuckiness taken off.

Andrea said...

Geez Ash you are young for that. I worked at a dermatologist for a few years and never remember seeing anyone that young with a basal cell. i am sure you will heal great. Faces heal awesome! I am glad you found it.

Aunt Amy said...

This is a wake-up call for everyone. Cancer can strike at any age. Put on your sunscreen and a big floppy hat whenever you go out. And watch your ears too! Jon's had a couple of scares but nothing serious. Glad you're okay. We love you and miss you.

Jen Rutter said...

Ashlee, I am so sorry that you had to go through that, but glad you are doing okay. You still look beautiful, swollen eye and all!

Skye said...

ASH, its to bad that something as great as the SUN, can cause such a horrible thing like skin cancer- i guess i better stop with the baby oil and lather the sunblock. I am glad you are ok! just wear hats in the sun!

Joy said...

Sorry to hear that Ashlee! Take it easy and call me if you need something.

Marissa said...

My mom had a similar spot on her nose a few years back... it really makes you realize that being 'tan' isn't worth it although it looks oh so good! More than anything I'm glad you're ok!!

Cheryl said...

Puffy eye, bandaged nose and you are still more beautiful than all those gawkers at the grocery store. Really.

I think you looked amazing today and I think you are incredible to keep pushing forward with everything (Christmas shopping, etc.) and to post it on your blog.

The truth is, is that this is a wakeup call for all of us to check over our body for possible worry spots, to get check ups and to wear sunscreen.

Your scar will be great. I think the doctor did a great job. It really will be just fine.

Loved seeing you today. I even got to say hello to Drew at YW. He asked how the 'Babysister Club' went. I told him it was the highlight of my week. Truly!

Brittany said...

At least you got your family pics a little while ago1!! And Ash you don't have to make up excuses for Drew. There are people you can talk to about this sort of thing. You can't let Drew push you around!! JK love you guys and Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, This is how I find out about this????? I'm hurt! You should have called and told me. Now I know how much my friendship means to you!!
All kidding aside, sorry girl. No fun, but you could have 10 huge scars on your face and still be the hottest girl in town!

Jaimee Blood said...

Oh my Ashley! So sorry! I'm probably going to be in your shoes someday (hopefully not) because skin cancer runs in my family. But-glad everything is alright. You take care.

jenni kaufusi said...

i hope you feeling better now.