Friday, July 16, 2010

The Cul-de-sac of Fire

I grew up in a pretty great place. A cul-de-sac of 12 houses and a million kids, not quite a million more like 50, give or take a few. In the summer the moms would sit out on their porches talking while the kids ran around shoeless and having the time of their lives. There were crazy wars between boys and girls and some of the best baseball and hockey games ever played. It truly was the best place to grow up.

Well, since we were little we have been having the Cul-de-sac of Fire. All the neighbors come together for a BBQ, a flag ceremony, and of course, fire works. Thanks Shaw family for making sure this tradition still happens!

This year was fun, all the "kids" my age came with their kids. It was great seeing all the families growing.

When our kids weren't terrorizing the other children they wrestled with Grandpa. I'm not kidding about the terrorizing. Mac, G and Lucy took over the slide and wouldn't let anyone down. There was pushing and Mac jumped on a couple of kids. Embarrassing, but the funny part is that everyone understood, "Oh look it's a McAllister. " I guess we were a rough bunch when we were little too:)
Lining up for the flag ceremony...
The kids loved the fireworks that were in sync with the Anthem.
Watching the fireworks

2 comments:

Judy and KC said...

Ash, you made me cry! I loved your discription of the cul de sac when you were growing up. It was a magical place - I agree!

I'm so glad you were able to be there for Cul-de-sac of Fire this year. I am just so grateful everyone plays along with my little fantasy. When I walked out from my house this year and saw all the families on the lawns I started to cry! It is just what I have always invisioned it to be. I love it!

Great pictures of you and your cute family.

Karrissa Winward said...

So fun! I love your neighborhood too!